Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Houghton in Houghton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Trinity Episcopal Church

 
 
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 14, 2014
1. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine Houghton and Hancock businessmen to establish a parish. The group held its first public worship services on September 15, 1860. At its first vestry meeting on July 13, 1861, the name Trinity Church was adopted. The present Jacobsville sandstone church was completed in 1910. Located on the site of an earlier wooden church, the present building has an interior design influenced by the Oxford Movement. The sanctuary's attractive wood carvings are the handiwork of Aloysius Lang of Oberammergau.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1319.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 47° 7.263′ N, 88° 
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 14, 2014
2. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
34.274′ W. Marker is in Houghton, Michigan, in Houghton County. Marker is on East Montezuma Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles west of Pewabic Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houghton MI 49931, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Growth and Change (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotels and Saloons (approx. ¼ mile away); Industry (approx. ¼ mile away); Copper Range Railroad Depot 1899 (approx. ¼ mile away); Clubs and Associations (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Houghton (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Finnish Newspaper in America (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houghton.
 
Also see . . .  The Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Trinity Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 14, 2014
3. Trinity Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021