Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Silesia School
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 38° 44.238′ N, 77° 0.161′ W. Marker is in Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Washington Road and Warburton Road, on the right when traveling east on Fort Washington Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Broad Creek Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); 40 Members of the Col. John Addison Family (approx. 1.2 miles away); Prince George’s County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chapel Hill (approx. 1.4 miles away); “Coach” James W. Crawford (approx. 2 miles away); “Warburton Manor” (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Mortar Battery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Historic White House Gates (approx. 2.3 miles away in Virginia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
Also see . . . Silesia Schoolhouse. (PDF) P.G. #80-12 Maryland Historical Trust Historic Site Inventory Form, 1988
"The Silesia Schoolhouse was constructed in 1902 on a one-acre lot sold to the Board of County School Commissioners by James and Mary Edelen. It was used as a school for only approximately one quarter century. When the Oxon Hill consolidated school was built in 1925, the one-room schools in the South Potomac/Piscataway area were closed and their students transported to the new school on Livingston Road. The one-acre lot and the Silesia Schoolhouse reverted at this tine to the Edelen family. During the 1930's (according to long-time
The Silesia schoolhouse remains one of very few surviving school buildings from the turn of the century, with a capability of adaptive reuse." -- The building was torn down in the early 21st Century. (Submitted on September 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,198 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.