South Bend in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Sons of Israel Synagogue
I will dwell in their midst."
The Sons of Israel Synagogue (B'nai Israel) was constructed in 1901 in the Romanesque Revival style, designed by South Bend architects Freyemuth and Maurer. The first permanent place of worship for the vibrant and growing Jewish community in the nearby area, it remained an active congregation for more than 90 years.
In 2003 the building was deeded to Indiana Landmarks, who now holds historic covenants on it. The City assumed ownership in 2012 when, following extensive renovations by owner Andrew Berlin, it became the team store for the South Bend Silver Hawks. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 41° 40.279′ N, 86° 15.342′ W. Marker is in South Bend, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Marker can be reached from S. William Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 S William St, South Bend IN 46601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. Chester and Elizabeth Allen (approx. 0.3 miles away); Studebaker Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robertson's Department Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); We Shall Overcome (approx. 0.4 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.4 miles away); Studebaker Blacksmith Shop and Carriage Factory Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Joseph County Civil War Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); 10 Inch Shell (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bend.
More about this marker. Marker is accessible only during baseball game days and other events when the stadium is open to the public. The front of the building is accessible from the street, and the marker may be seen through the fence along the street.
Also see . . .
1. Historical structure to receive plaque dedication. Article from the May 15, 2014 edition of the South Bend Tribune. Includes a close-up photo of the marker/plaque. (Submitted on August 20, 2014.)
2. America's Only Ballpark Synagogue. May 2014 article by Jonathan Eig in The New Yorker Magazine. (Submitted on August 20, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 10, 2017, by Steven Lotter of Granger, Indiana. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 20, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.