The Century to Statehood
In the 1700's, the open shoreline on the west side of the street gradually filled with shops and houses. Stores backed onto the cove and often had docks extending into the water for easy loading of wares in the flourishing colonial trade. Between the buildings ran narrow pedestrian alleys, or "gangways", to the waterfront.
The Antrain-Gray House dates from at least 1737 at its northern end, and from the 1790s at its southern brick end. It has been a residence, a liquor store, a pool hall, a restaurant, a barber shop, a dry goods store, and lastly a watch shop.
This 1790 map of Providence shows expansion of the town southward (along today's South Main Street) and westward to "Weybosset Side" of the Providence River. Roger Williams National Memorial fills the shaded area.
Location. 41° 49.881′ N, 71° 24.651′ W. Marker is in Providence, Rhode Island, in Providence County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street. Marker is in the Roger Williams National Memorial,. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Providence RI 02903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Witness to History (a few steps from this
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Century to Statehood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 294 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.