Bellefonte in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Centre County Courthouse
Erected 1971 by County Commissioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. 40° 54.732′ N, 77° 46.664′ W. Marker is in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Allegheny Street and High St.. Marker is located between the war memorial and the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellefonte PA 16823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centre County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Centre County (here, next to this marker); Andrew Gregg Curtin (a few steps from this marker); To All Who Served (a few steps from this marker); Bellefonte (within shouting distance of this marker); 115 East High Street (within W. F. Reynolds and Co. Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Brockerhoff House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefonte.
Regarding Centre County Courthouse. Centre County Courthouse is a historic courthouse located at Bellefonte, Centre County, Pennsylvania. The original section was built in 1805, with additions and / or remodeling in 1835, 1854-55, 1909, and 1963-64. It is a rectangular brick building on a stone foundation, measuring 135 feet long by 60 feet wide. The building is faced in stucco and has a gable roof topped by a cupola. It features a Greek Revival style entry porch with eight 26 foot high smooth faced columns with Ionic order capitals. The porch was added in 1835. In June 2012, it was the site of the trial of Jerry Sandusky in the Penn State sex abuse scandal. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It is located in the Bellefonte Historic District.
Excerpt from Wikipedia -
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. 2. submitted on August 15, 2015, by Carolyn Martienssen of West Hazleton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. 4. submitted on June 28, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.