Dalkeith in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
In 1793 some forty families, including members of several clans, emigrated from Glenelg, Scotland, under the leadership of Alexander MacLeod and landed at St. John's Island (now Prince Edward Island). The following year they came to Glengarry County and petitioned for land. In August, 1794, the majority were authorized to occupy 200 acres each in the vicinity of Kirkhill, which was for many years known as Glenelg. Alexander MacLeod, who was located on this property in 1794, was instrumental in founding one of the earliest Presbyterian parishes in Upper Canada here in Lochiel Township. During the War of 1812 he served as a Captain in the 2nd Regiment of the Glengarry Militia and died March 4, 1850.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812.
Location. 45° 25.595′ N, 74° 37.008′ W. Marker is in Dalkeith, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Laggan-Gleneig RoadTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21420 Laggan-Gleneig Road, Dalkeith, Ontario K0B 1E0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hawkesbury Mills (approx. 21 kilometers away); The Founding of l'Orignal (approx. 22.2 kilometers away); District Court-House and Gaol 1825 (approx. 22.2 kilometers away); The Seigneury of L'Orignal (approx. 22.5 kilometers away).
Regarding MacLeod Settlement. Some 40 families from various Highland clans emigrated from Scotland under the leadership of Alexander MacLeod and took up land in Glengarry in 1794. One of the earliest Presbyterian parishes in Upper Canada was subsequently established in Lochiel Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 255 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.