San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Coronal Institute
Established 1868 by educator O.N. Hollingsworth. A private school, it was coeducational and offered military training to boys. So-named because it was a Coronal (crown) atop this hill. In 1870 the Rev. R.H. Belvin bought school, but sold it to the Methodist Church in 1876.
First structure, of limestone, burned in 1890. A handsome, 3-story building soon replaced it.
Hundreds of students attended institute, which helped pioneer education in southwest Texas.
The Methodist Church closed school, 1918. It was sold, 1925, to San Marcos School District.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10253.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 29° 52.957′ N, 97° 56.837′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hutchison Street and Moore Street, on the right when traveling south on West Hutchison Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerUlysses Cephas (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eddie Durham (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Triangle (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Courthouses of Hays County (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank of San Marcos (approx. half a mile away); Augusta Hofheinz House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Also see . . .
1. The Coronal Institute. The Handbook of Texas website entry (Submitted on September 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. An Extensive History of Coronal Institute. The Digital Library of Texas website entry (Submitted on September 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 583 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on August 10, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.