Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eastlake style embellishments make this a Victorian jewel. It was built in 1890 by contractor Jacob Wirtz for Marcus H. and Annie (Burford) Townsend. A State Representative (1883-85) and Senator (1889-93), Townsend sponsored bill for state purchase of the Alamo; he also named a county for his law partner, Major Robert Foard.
Bought 1906 by Thurmond Bowers and Erma (Zumwalt) West, house is occupied and preserved by their son, Thurmond Baltzar West.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Comittee. (Marker Number 5543.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 29° 42.327′ N, 96° 32.572′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling west on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Railway Hospital (a few steps from this marker); City of Columbus Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the American Declaration of Independence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abram Alley Log Cabin (about 400 feet away); Dilue Rose Harris (about 500 feet away); Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris House (about 500 feet away); William B. DeWees (about 600 feet away); Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on July 1, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.