St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
His son, the second Dr. Andrew Anderson, developed the Markland orange grove, which extended from present-day Cordova St. westward to the San Sebastian River, into one of the most famous groves in Florida, after the Civil War.
As a friend and business associate of Dr. Anderson, Henry M. Flagler purchased the eastern portion of the grove in the 1880's for the site of the Hotel Ponce de Leon.
After the death of Dr. Anderson in 1924, the house was purchased by St. Augustine mayor, Herbert E. Wolfe who sold it to Flagler College in 1968.
Erected by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Landmarks.
Location. 29° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 King Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson Cottage (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Xavier Lopez House (about 400 feet away); Villa Zorayda (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Villa Zorayda (about 500 feet away); Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory (about 600 feet away); Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory (about 600 feet away); Model Land Company National Register Historic District (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Markland House article. (Submitted on March 26, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 17, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.