Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Railroad in Logan County
The Railroad in Logan County Bellefontaine was a railroad town from the 1890’s to the 1950’s. The city was the site of one of the largest roundhouses and repair centers on the Big Four/ New York Central Lines and trains stopped here to have steam engines serviced and to switch crews. Up to ninety freight trains and over forty passenger trains came to Bellefontaine each day. The railroad was a major employer in Logan County. Over two hundred employees worked at the roundhouse and shops at any one time and many others were members of the train crews, Bellefontaine’s importance as a railroad center waned in the 1960’s with the increased use of diesel engines, newer technology and other modes of transportation. Yet, the railroad and it’s workers left an indelible.mark on the history of Bellefontaine.
Railroad YMCA Bellefontaine’s significance as a railroad town brought many railroad workers to the area. The workers who did not live here needed a place to stay and eat while they waited for their next shifts. In 1901 the Big Four Railroad opened the first YMCA in
Erected 2010 by Levi W. Lile & Nancy Nicholl Lile The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number S 12-46.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 40° 21.708′ N, 83° 45.792′ W. Marker is in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Elm Street and West Columbus Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Elm Street. marker is in a small park at the west of the Bellefontaine Municipal Court Building it is at the north east corner of North Elm, and West Columbus Avenue, the site of the old YMCA Bellefontaine Municipal Court is located at 226 West Columbus Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Elm, Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Free Servicemen's Canteen, 1942-1946 (within shouting distance of this marker); Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Robert Patterson Kennedy (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Concrete Street in America (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Shirk’s Logan Tire Co. (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington Memorial Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blue Jacket Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Logan County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefontaine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 5. submitted on April 24, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 23, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.