San Patricio in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Education in San Patricio
Education in San Patricio began in 1830 on this site in the picket cabin of Catherine Hoy. In 1876 Saint Joseph's Convent was erected here. The Sisters of Mercy, having left Indianola after the Hurricane of 1875, came to run the Mother House and school in San Patricio. It closed in 1884. The three story building was razed in 1897 and the lumber was used to build the first Catholic church in Sinton. The nuns were Mother Camillus Lucas, Sister Joseph Dunn, Sister Stanislaus Brodrick and six postulants.
Erected 1976 by Order of The Alhambra Baza Caravan No. 78.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 27° 57.269′ N, 97° 46.247′ W. Marker is in San Patricio, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is on Magnolia Street (County Route 60) 0.1 miles east of Main Street (County Route 666), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20742 Magnolia Street, Mathis TX 78368, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker Saint Patrick's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Dougherty House (about 600 feet away); Battle of San Patricio (approx. ¼ mile away); San Patricio County (approx. ¼ mile away); Josepha Rodriguez (approx. ¼ mile away); San Patricio de Hibernia (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Cemetery on the Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Santa Margarita Crossing (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Patricio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.