Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
Saint John City Market
Le Marché de Saint John
Built between 1874 ad 1876, the Saint John City market narrowly escaped the fire that swept through the town in 1877 and stands today as a rare and distinguished example of a 19th century market building. Designed in the Second Empire style by New Brunswick architects McKean and Fairweather, the market building contains shops on the ground level, offices above, and, through the passageway, a long, open market hall. An impressive feature of the hall is the exposed timber framing, with its queen post trusses supported by cast-iron columns. The market has been in continuous use since its construction.
Construit entre 1874 et 1876, le marché a échappé de justesse à l’incendie qui a ravagé la ville en 1877. Rare et bel exemple de halles de XIXᵉ siècle, ce bâtiment de style Second Empire est l’oeuvre de architectes McKean et Fairweather, du Nouveau-Brunswick. Il abrite des boutiques au rez-de-chaussée et des bureaux aux étages supérieurs. Une galerie débouche sur la halle, longue et dégagée. On remarquera la charpente apparente en bois, composée de fermes à deux poinçons, soutenues par les piliers
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 45° 16.441′ N, 66° 3.549′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is at the intersection of Charlotte Street and Market Street on Charlotte Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Charlotte Street, Saint John NB E2L 2H8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); King’s Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Great Fire of 1877 | L’incendie de 1877 (about 150 meters away); Imperial Theatre (about 150 meters away); No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House (about 180 meters away); Saint John’s Original Burial Ground (about 180 meters away); Founding of New Brunswick (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Also see . . . History - Saint John City Market. A full city block in length, the Market runs downhill from the “head of the Market” on Charlotte Street, gently sloping to the Germain Street entrance, a full 10 feet below. At both entrances hang the same gates that have swung closed at the end of each business day since 1880. Crafted from heavy wrought iron, their graceful design is a tribute to the skill and artistry of the local blacksmith who created them. (Submitted on September 28, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.