Arcadia in Valley County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Arcadia Centennial 1885-1985
The Arcadia town site was platted by John Wall and Parley Round and put into the record October 3, 1885. The first buildings housed a general store, hardware store, and harness shop. The community's economy improved with the arrival of the Burlington Railroad in 1887. The Arcadia Roller Mills, established in the late 1880's, also boosted prosperity.
The residents of the Arcadia area have experienced setbacks and natural disasters: Indian scares and locust attacks in 1874; the blizzards of 1888 and 1948-1949; major fires in 1890, 1904, and 1937; and tornados in 1904, 1959, and 1974. Despite
Erected 1985 by Valley County Centennial Committee; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 298.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1880.
Location. 41° 25.292′ N, 99° 7.948′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Nebraska, in Valley County. Marker is on State Highway 70 north of 466th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. This marker is located on the west edge of Arcadia, just west of the bridge over the Middle Loup River on the south side of the highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arcadia NE 68815, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arcadia Congregational Church (approx. half a mile away); Loup City Township Carnegie Library (approx. 13.2 miles away); The Loup City Riot, 1934 (approx. 13.3 miles away); Sherman County Courthouse (approx. 13.3 miles away); Dead Horse Creek (approx. 13.3 miles away); Jenner's Park (approx. 13.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.