Weybridge in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The U.S. Government Morgan Horse Farm
The U.S. Government established a Morgan horse breeding program in 1905 at the University of Vermont to study and refine the Morgan horse as a superior cavalry mount. That program moved here in 1907 when Joseph Battell donated this farm to the U.S. Government and the U.S. Government Morgan Horse Farm was created. In 1951 the University of Vermont assumed ownership. Joseph Battell, a devoted Morgan horse breeder, researched the history of the breed and published Vol. I of the first American Morgan Horse Register in 1894. Some of Battell's Morgans were used as breeding stock by the U.S. Government Morgan Horse Farm. The Battell and U.S. Government Morgan horse bloodline is perpetuated by the UVM Morgan Horse Farm's breeding program.
Erected 2007 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Animals. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 44° 2.531′ N, 73° 10.986′ W. Marker is in Weybridge, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker can be reached from Battell Drive. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Silas Wright (approx. 1½ miles away); Ancient Paths (approx. 2 miles away); Samuel Miller, Esq. (approx. 2 miles away); Charter House (approx. 2 miles away); Emma Willard Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Marble Works Memorial Bridge (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Battell Block (approx. 2.1 miles away); Emma Willard (approx. 2.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Morgan Horse. (Submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 453 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.