Schaan, Liechtenstein — Oberland
City Hall / Former School
Rathaus / Ehemaliges Schulhaus
— Kulturweg Schaan - Station 21 —
Marker text translated into English:
Education was made compulsory in Liechtenstein in 1805. The oldest reference made to a school activity in Schaan is from a "Tutorial" for the school master Rudolph Walser from 1700. In the 18th century, children were taught in private houses on the Obergass and later on Feldkirch Street. By 1800, on the Schaan Landstrasse there stood the "Shop and school house", which was converted into a schoolhouse in 1807. By 1838,there was already activity to promote the construction of a school building. Construction began in 1844. By 1846, a school building at a cost of 7,519 Gulden was completed. From 1853, classes were instructed separately by gender. Form 1854 girls were taught by teaching sisters from Zams. The classrooms consisted of one classroom each sex for the high-, middle- and primary grades. In addition there were were also living quarters for the teacher and the teaching sisters. 1906, the quarters were converted into classrooms on the 3rd floor. Due to the increased number of students, in 1949 an annex was added, with the old school house extended eastward. The new gym - today's
Erected by Stadt Schaan.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. 47° 9.951′ N, 9° 30.578′ E. Marker is in Schaan. Marker is on Schulgass just east of Landstrasse, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schaan 9494, Liechtenstein. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Theater (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); I Had a Comerade (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 676 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.