Near Dardanelle in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Route of the Bartleson-Bidwell Party - 1841
Erected by USFS, Stanislaus National Forest.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 20.513′ N, 119° 55.474′ W. Marker is near Dardanelle, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker can be reached from Mono Way (California Route 108) 15.2 miles from Herring Creek Lane. Heading east on Hwy 108 toward Sonora Pass, from Herring Creek Road in Strawberry (this is the street the Post Office is on), go 15.2 miles to Donnell's Vista (sometimes called Donnell's Overlook). Turn into the parking area on the left and park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinecrest CA 95364, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least The Last Battle (a few steps from this marker); Hayes Station (approx. 7.7 miles away); Jewels of the High Country (approx. 9.9 miles away); The Emigrants of 1852-1853 (approx. 9.9 miles away); Reynold’s House (approx. 10.3 miles away); Bedrock Mortars (approx. 10.4 miles away); Following in their Footsteps - East Flange Rock (approx. 10˝ miles away); Old Emigrant Road (approx. 10˝ miles away).
More about this marker. There is a paved footpath that leads from the southeast corner of the parking area down to the overlook. The sign is along this path.
Also see . . .
1. What Ever Became of John Bartleson?. The first emigrant train to California has been called the Bartleson Party, the Bartleson-Bidwell Party, and the Bidwell-Bartleson Party, after its captain, John Bartleson, and its most prominent member, John Bidwell. Bidwell rose to fame and influence in California, but what became of the captain of the company?.... (Submitted on October 18, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
2. The First Emigrant Train to California by John Bidwell. (Submitted on October 18, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.