Bishop in Inyo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Whiskey Creek History
The Ohio Buckeye tree you see planted in the deck of the front door of the gift shop at the Whiskey Creek Restaurant was brought here in 1924 from Ohio and still bears buckeyes every fall.
During World War II, the Kittie Lee dining room was closed and used as a dormitory for U.S. military pilots training at the Bishop Airport. After the war, the dining room was remodeled and reopened as the Copper Kettle Coffee Shop, which was known far and wide for its excellent food and extensive Royal Doulton Toby Jug Collection. The Kittie Lee Inn was torn down in 1965 to make way for a new dinner house known
In 1976, Sam and Shelly Walker purchased the business from Will Whorff, son of the original owner of the Kittie Lee, and changed the name to Whiskey Creek. In 1999, the Walkers sold the business to its new owner, Greg Alexander….and a new era began.
Erected 2000 by Bishop Mural Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 37° 21.873′ N, 118° 23.689′ W. Marker is in Bishop, California, in Inyo County. Marker is on North. Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 524 North Main Street, Bishop CA 93514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Little Kittie Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Slim Princess (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ernest Kinney Teamster Family Mural (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Atlas Copco Mucker" (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of "Dangerous Arrest" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mule (approx. 0.6 miles away); Project Sierra Wave (approx. 1.6 miles away); San Francis Ranch (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishop.
More about this marker. Mural painted by Robert Thomas, John Knowlton and Rich Perkins.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 26, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.