Gerolzhofen in Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany
Um 800 n. Chr.: Vorgängerkirche aus Holz
Um 1000: romanischer dreischiffiger Bau
Um 1400: Baubeginn der gotischen Kirche
auf den Fundamenten des romanischen Baus
Um 1700: Barockisierung des Innenraums
1898-1902: Verläengerung des Kirchenschiffs
Geschichte für alle
historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V.
Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung
Marker text translated into English:
About 800 A.D.: A predecessor church is built of wood.
About 1000: Romanesque-style three-nave construction.
About 1400: Construction of a gothic church begins upon the foundations of the romanesque building.
About 1700: The interior is outfitted in baroque style.
1898-1902: Lengthening of the nave.
History for All - the Gerolzhofen Historical Society
Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation
Erected by The Gerolzhofen Historical Society and the Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 49° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gerolzhofen BY 97447, Germany. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baroque Crucifixion Sculpture (here, next to this marker); Chapel of St. John (within shouting distance of this marker); Altes Rathaus / The Old City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Ehemalige Vogtei / Former Bailiff's Building (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Catholic Rectory (about 90 meters away); Owl's Tower (about 90 meters away); The Watchmen's Tower (about 120 meters away); Bürgerspital / Municipal Hospital (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerolzhofen.
Regarding Parish Church. The Catholic parish church of Saint Mary of the Rosary and Holy St. Regiswindis , also called the "Steigerwalddom", was constructed from 1436 to 1479…. - German Wikipedia article on Gerolzhofen, in translation.
Also see . . . Article on restoration of stained glass. A short German-language article on the restoration of the Church's stained glass. (Submitted on November 3, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 6, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on November 11, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on November 3, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on November 7, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.