St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old Missouri Hotel
On this site stood the Old Missouri Hotel. The first legislature convened here under the first state constitution on September 18, 1820. The year before Missouri was admitted to the Union. It was also the site of the inauguration of the first governor of Missouri, Alexander McNair and of the election of the state’s first U.S. Senators David Barton and Thomas Hart Benton.
Frederic Reader designed the current building for the Christian Peper Tobacco Company in 1874. The same year the Eads Bridge was completed. It is one of the largest cast iron from buildings in this country. Reader Place is listed as one of the 500 significant architectural structures in the U.S.
In 1976 the architectural firm of Kimble A. Cohn Associates remodeled the building of offices and restaurants as part of the redevelopment of Laclede’s Landing. The Raeder Place building is virtually intact from the time of its construction.
Erected by Kimble A. Cohn Associates.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1820.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Louis MO 63102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Grande Rue (a few steps from this marker); Rue Royale (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rue de l’Eglise (about 300 feet away); The James B. Eads Bridge (about 600 feet away); Action and Reaction (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1996 (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1994 (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1995 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
More about this marker. This marker is located in the Laclede's Landing Neighborhood.
Also see . . . Stop #14: Raeder Place Building - Laclede's Landing self-guided tour. This was the original site for the Missouri Hotel which was considered the finest hotel in the west. Built by Thomas Brady, an Irishman who had arrived from Pennsylvania. The hotel opened in 1820 and was the site at which the First State Legislature which met on the 18th of September that year. (Submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.