Texhoma in Texas County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Texas 1901 2001 Oklahoma
After 1910, many small frame downtown buildings were being replaced by brick structures. A brick school on the Oklahoma side was built in 1909, and one on the Texas side by 1913. The first Texhoma class graduated from Texhoma High School in 1913.
Town services grew rapidly. A telephone company was established in 1907; a public water system in 1913; an electric plant in
After the hard years of The Depression-Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and World War II in the 1940s, much additional building took place. New school buildings were added, followed by a medical clinic and fire station, several new churches, a municipal swimming pool and a TV translator.
Gas booms in the 1940s, agricultural irrigation in the 1950s, and finally the swine industry in the 1990s have contributed to the economic stability of the town.
A pride of Texhoma has always been its public school system. The football team won state in 1971; the girls basketball team in 1992; the boys basketball team in 1994; the girls track team in 1996. Many other teams qualified for state tournaments over the years. Through an act of the legislature of both states, the two school systems were combined in 1976, but maintain separate school boards with excellent co-operation. The schools have graduated many outstanding students who have made their mark in life. Out town is proud of the many useful citizens we have sent out into the world on this, our 100th Anniversary.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 36° 30.3′ N, 101° 47.007′ W. Marker is in TexhomaTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Texhoma OK 73949, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Post Office of Loretta (approx. half a mile away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.