St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Merchant Laclede Building
The eight-story Merchant Laclede Building named after the merger of two of its bank tenants, is an early example of St. Louis’ tall fireproof office buildings. Completed in 1889, some of its offices contain fireplaces.
The building was designed for the banks in the area during the 1880s when the St. Louis economy surged. By 1890, St. Louis’ population grew to fifth largest in the nation.
Notice the decorative terra cotta relief panels with varied designs accenting the building. Look closely at one of the panels high above Olive Street for particularly mischievous subject matter.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 38° 37.645′ N, 90° 11.281′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street and Olive Street, on the left when traveling north on North 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 299 North 4th Street, Saint Louis MO 63102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Security Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mississippi Valley Trust CompanyTeenager Samuel Clemens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Clark died at this site (about 300 feet away); Site of the Democratic National Convention of 1876 (about 300 feet away); Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (about 400 feet away); La Rue Missouri (about 600 feet away); Western Reach of the Revolution (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Also see . . . Merchants Laclede Building - City Landmark #95. The building is of Greek Revival design, with beige granite on the first two floors and soft red sandstone and brick above. (Submitted on November 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.