This home built in 1854 for John Nelson Webster and Caroline Webster is Alameda’s oldest house. The house is a primary example of Gothic Revival architecture by renowned architect Andrew Jackson Downing. The house was prefabricated in New York, shipped around Cape Horn in the hull of the bark Henry Harbeck and assembled in 1854. The interior walls are solid redwood with some planks being 22” wide. The redwood came from Leona Heights, the redwood forest to the north of Alameda. Fires in the late 1800’s and 1920s damaged the rear of the home.
The home was acquired by Andrew and Susan McCormack on February 5, 1984. They replaced the damaged areas and proceeded to restore the home and convert its use from a single family home to a bed and breakfast inn.
Erected 2003 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Robert M. Rogers, Grand President and Halcyon-Alameda Parlor #47 NSGW.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 5, 1984.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clark Memorial Bench (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lincoln Park, 1909 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. 0.4 miles away); They Brought Alameda the News (approx. half a mile away); Alameda’s First Church (approx. half a mile away); Alameda City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alameda City Hall, 1895-96 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Alameda High School (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alameda.
Also see . . . One of a kind: Webster House in Alameda. This is from the real estate pages but there are some interesting tidbits tucked throughout the article. (Submitted on November 15, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.