Anson in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jones County Courthouse
The first permanent courthouse was a small frame building, which served until the county purchased a hotel in 1884 for use as a courthouse. An 1886 brick courthouse served the county for the next 24 years.
In late 1909, the Jones County Commissioners Court, led by County Judge J.R. Stinson, determined that the growth of the county called for a larger courthouse. They selected Elmer G. Withers of Stamford (15 mi. n) and the Texas Building Company of Fort Worth as architect and contractor, respectively. Completed in 1910, the Jones County courthouse is an excellent example of Beaux Arts styling, with influences from the Arts and Crafts Movement found in the decorative painting uncovered during a 1990s rehabilitation on the ceiling of the district courtroom. Other notable features include the
Constructed of brick and Pecos Red Sandstone, the Jones County courthouse continues to stand as an important part of Anson’s architectural heritage and a center of politics and government for the citizens of the county.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12415.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 45.373′ N, 99° 53.816′ W. Marker is in Anson, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Court Plaza (U.S. 83/277) and 12th Street. Marker is located on the lawn near the front (south) entrance of the Jones County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anson TX 79501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jones County (here, next to this marker); Anson Jones (a few steps from this marker); Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (a few steps from this marker); Omar Burleson (within shouting distance of this marker); Anson Opera House (about 300 feet away, First Presbyterian Church Building (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboys' Christmas Ball (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anson.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 386 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.