Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fraser Mansion

Built 1890

 
 
Fraser Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
1. Fraser Mansion Marker
Inscription.  
This Property is listed in
The National Register
of Historic Places

as a National Landmark for its
architectural and cultural contributions
to the District of Columbia

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 38° 54.767′ N, 77° 2.682′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on 20th Street Northwest north of R Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Very near the intersection of R Street and Connecticut Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 20th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Connecticut Ave. from Lafayette Square to Ashmead Place (a few steps from this marker); Blanche K. Bruce and Josephine Beall Willson Bruce Residence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); From 1890 to 1910 (about 600 feet away); 2019 Q Street NW (about 600 feet away); Excerpt from Walt Whitman's "The Dresser" (1865 version) and "We Embrace" by E. Ethelbert Miller
Fraser Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
2. Fraser Mansion Marker
(about 700 feet away); Carl Lutz (about 700 feet away); Hungarian Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lajos (Louis) Kossuth (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
 
Regarding Fraser Mansion. Although this Beaux Arts house is rumored to have been built for "Thomas Alexander Scott, Assistant Secretary of War under President Abraham Lincoln, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and a major figure in the politics of the Reconstruction era", it was actually built by Joseph C. Hornblower and James Rush Marshall for New York merchant George S. Fraser in 1890. It was purchased in 1901 by Scott's daughter, Miriam Scott Thropp. By 1932 it was a tearoom; by 1950 it was a restaurant. It has been the Golden Parrot Restaurant and Cocktail lounge, The Golden Booeymonger and now the Church of Scientology National Affairs Office.
 
Also see . . .  Church of Scientology Opens National Office in D.C. Landmark. Scientology, September 12, 2012. (Submitted on November 19, 2014.) 
 
Fraser Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
3. Fraser Mansion Marker
Fraser Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
4. Fraser Mansion
Fraser Mansion<br>Church of Scientology image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
5. Fraser Mansion
Church of Scientology
Exterior For Hornblower & Marshall image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
6. Exterior For Hornblower & Marshall
The Golden Parrot Restaurant image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
7. The Golden Parrot Restaurant
May 1968
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 7, 2020