St. John's in Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland, Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
Erected by Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 47° 33.949′ N, 52° 42.461′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland. Marker is on Cathedral Street close to Gower Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Cathedral Street, St John's NL A1C, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Carson (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Former Bank of British North America (about 90 meters away); Bank of British North America(Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (about 180 meters away); St. John’s Court House (about 210 meters away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. half a kilometer away); Thompson Building (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Also see . . . Masonic Temple - Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland & Labrador. The three-storeyed building, an excellent example of Victorian lodge construction, contains several classical motifs. The structure includes pilasters, free-standing columns and multiple pediments. The Freemasons held the first Masonic meeting in the structure on November 1, 1896, but the order did not consecrate the building until April 23, 1897. (Submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on November 25, 2014. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.