Niagara Falls in Niagara Regional Municipality, Ontario — Central Canada
Following his trip to Scotland, Dr. Heam commissioned Hydro’s Niagara Regional staff to design and construct a floral dock in keeping with the surroundings at the Queenston station. A “Hydro News” article describing plans for the construction of the attraction, credits Pat Ryan and Walter Ewart as the clock’s designers. Hugh Duncan supervised construction of the attraction and was in charge of the mechanical and electrical installation work. (Dr. Hearn later served as Chairman at Ontario Hydro).
The Edinburgh clock, built in 1903 is roughly
The hands of the clock are stainless steel tubing: the hour hand is 14.5', the minute hand is 17.5' and the second hand is 21' long. Their combined weight is 1,250 pounds. An ivy-clad, louvered stone tower stands 24' tall and contains speakers that every quarter hour broadcast Westminster chimes. Under the clock, accessed by a door at the rear of the tower, the concrete foundation includes three small rooms - one for the clock mechanism and it's driving motor, one contains switches to supply the electrical power, and one stores the tools required for maintaining the floral face. The clock mechanism runs in a bath of oil. The mechanical workings are driven by a 5 HP DC motor supplied from a DC drive. A tachometer is mounted on the motor shaft and provides feedback of the drive to control its accuracy.
An attractive feature is the 10-foot wide water garden that curves 85 feet around the base of the timepiece. It is a popular wishing pond and coins that are collected when it is cleaned each fall are donated to local charities.
The Floral Clock is located beside Sir Adam Beck Generating Station No. 1 and its mechanics are still maintained by the staff of Ontario Power Generation (the successor to Ontario Hydro). Parking, washrooms and a small gift shop are provided for the convenience of the thousands of visitors who stop here each year. This floral showpiece has become one of the most photographed attractions in the Niagara Parks.
The Floral Clock is one of the many sites operated by the Niagara Parks Commission, an agency of the Government of Ontario. Their mission is to preserve and protect the natural and cultural heritage along the Niagara River for the enjoyment of visitors. They have been doing so without the use of tax dollars since 1885.
For more information please visit
Erected by Niagara Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
Location. 43° 8.97′ N, 79° 2.845′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Regional Municipality. Marker is on Niagara Parkway north of the Botanical Gardens, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14004 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls, Ontario L0S 1L0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southern Terminus of The Bruce Trail (approx. one kilometer away); Roy Terrace (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Robert Moses Niagara Power Plant Turbine (approx. 1.2 kilometers away in the U.S.); Fighting for Homeland (approx. 1.2 kilometers away in the U.S.); Attack (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Fort Drummond (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); The Treacherous River Cliff (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Laura Ingersoll Secord (approx. 1.2 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of clock in nicer weather • Different clock face design photos • Can you help?