Cline in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(½ mi. S. of this site)
Community protected from Indians by small detachment of soldiers billeted at "The Spring," nearby.
August Cline was employed by Pingenot to operate store and stagecoach stand. When railroad came in 1883, built rock house and post office on north bank. Became postmaster. Renamed community, Cline.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 921.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list.
Location. 29° 14.529′ N, 100° 5.044′ W. Marker is in Cline, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 90 and County Route 212, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 90. This Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General John R. Baylor (approx. 7˝ miles away).
Regarding Cline Community. Turkey Creek is to the south of the marker and was a stop for wagon trains in route to California on the San Antonio-El Paso Military Road in the 1850s. As stated on the marker, Turkey Creek was also a stage stop for the San Antonio-San Diego Mail Line.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.