Blackhead in Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland, Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
World War II Battery
Batterie del a IIième Guerre mondaile
— Fort Cape Spear / Le fort du cap Spear —
In 1940, the American and Canadian Joint Board of Defence decided to protect the approaches to St. John’s harbour by installing heavy artillery at Cape Spear. Gun emplacements, magazines, and shelters were constructed by 1941 as well as barracks, messhalls, canteens, and administration buildings. “A” troop of the 103rd Coast Defence Battery of Royal Canadian Artillery was stationed at Fort Cape Spear and a small detachment of Americans manned the anti-aircraft searchlights. Enemy submarines attacked allied shipping in nearby waters, but Fort Cape Spear never saw action and many of the troops were transferred to the European front by mid-1943. Home defence personnel manned the site until May 1945 and the last troops departed a month later. They left it as they found it, “cold, clammy, foggy and miserable.”
En 1940, la Commission permanente canada-américaine sur défense décidait de protéger les accès au port de Saint-Jean en installant une artillerie lourde au cap Spear. C'est ainsi que l’année suivante, le cap se trouva doté d’emplacement de canons, de dépôts,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1940.
Location. 47° 31.421′ N, 52° 37.257′ W. Marker is in Blackhead, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland. Marker can be reached from Blackhead Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackhead NL A0A, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cape Spear Lighthouse (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ice (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); Swiling (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); Fishery Fever Hospital (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); First Transatlantic Wireless Signal (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); Cabot Tower (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); Battle of Signal Hill (approx. 6.9 kilometers away).
More about this marker. This battery is a short walk from the Cape Spear parking lot, near the point.
Also see . . . Cape Spear - Wikipedia. Because of its proximity to convoy routes during the second World War, a gun battery was installed at Cape Spear to defend the entrance to St. John's harbor. Barracks and underground passages leading to the bunkers were built for the use of troops stationed there. (Submitted on December 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.