Cedar Park in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Neighbors living in a scattered settlement along Cypress Creek known as Cypress Neighborhood joined together to establish a school for their children in the 1860s. A small log schoolhouse was built on a hilltop above the creek. By 1877 the students had outgrown the first school, and a new one-story wood frame building was erected on the same site. Students attending the one-room school were taught by one teacher. The school continued in operation until 1937. In 1987 a new Cypress School was built here by the Leander Independent School District.
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13872.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 30° 27.948′ N, 97° 50.136′ W. Marker is in Cedar Park, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on El Salido Parkway. Marker is located on Cypress Elementary School grounds, near school entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900 El Salido Pky, Cedar Park TX 78613, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesJohn M. King Log House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pond Springs Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cedar Chopping in Central Texas (approx. 3 miles away); Cedar Park Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Anderson’s Mill (approx. 3.3 miles away); Cedar Park (approx. 3.8 miles away); Granite for the State Capitol (approx. 4 miles away); Jolly Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar Park.
Also see . . . Cypress School, 1936 Defender Yearbook. The Defender, a yearbook of Travis County rural public schools, compiled by the students of the schools represented in the book. The link is to Cypress School from that yearbook. (Submitted on November 14, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,659 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on December 14, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on November 14, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on December 14, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.