Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
— War of 1812 —
Selected as General Samuel Smith’s personal guard, the troop was stationed at the defenses on Hampstead Hill during the Battle of Baltimore and served as observers/couriers at North Point and Fort McHenry. Duty and Service-Thompson’s journal shows he persistently drilled his militia cavalry troop. The 62-man unit was made up of leading merchants and tradesmen committed to protecting their homeland.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
Captain Henry Thompson, ca 1811 by John Wesley Jarvis-Image/Courtesy Maryland Historical Society.
“To Captain Thompson of the Flying Artillery and his company, the Commanding General tenders his thanks for their unremitting personal attention as his guard (and) their readiness in carrying orders…”
–Major General Samuel Smith, September 19, 1814
(Inscription about the painting)
In this 1814 painting by Thomas Ruckle of
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail series list.
Location. 39° 19.284′ N, 76° 35.214′ W. Marker is in Belair - Edison in Baltimore, Maryland. Memorial is on St Lo Drive. The marker is located on the grounds of the Clifton Park Golf Course near the Club House. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21213, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Patapsco Friends Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Montebello (approx. ¾ mile away); The National Great Blacks in Wax Museum (approx. 0.8 miles away); Eastern High School Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cal Ripken, Sr. (approx. one mile away); Memorial Field at the Y (approx. one mile away); World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away); Eutaw Manor (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 19, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on December 18, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.