Near Cisco in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Scranton Academy
Scranton, a small farming-ranching community, was only 13 years old when citizens founded the academy, by public subscription. The school expanded rapidly, reaching an enrollment of 325 by 1910. At its peak all grade levels (then numbering 11) were taught.
First president, O.C. Britton, presided 1903-1908. He was followed by W.W. Griffin (1909), S.P. Collins (1910-1911), and J.E. Temple Peters (1911-1915). Under Peters, courses were standardized, a science program begun, and a modern laboratory and library added. Later presidents were J.W. Hawkins (1916), and L.E. Ratten (1917).
Among early trustees were G.W. Bailey, F.G. Boyd, A.P. Brown, W.D. Clinton, W.T. Gattis, E.B. Lane, J.J. Ray, W.T. Rutherford, A.M. Sprawls, J.R. Sprawls, and John L. Woods.
In addition to basic subjects, school offered a teacher training program. Physical plant consisted of a large classroom building, a 500-seat auditorium, two dormitories, scientific laboratory, and library.
During its lifetime, the academy contributed
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4616.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
Location. 32° 18.295′ N, 99° 6.764′ W. Marker is near Cisco, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1864 and County Road 151. Marker is located along the driveway to the ruin building of the Scranton Academy; the above directions are to the driveway off FM 1864. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cisco TX 76437, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scranton Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atwell Cemetery (approx. 3½ miles away); Hittson Ranch Headquarters on Battle Creek (approx. 5.6 miles away); Burkett Pecan Tree (approx. 5.8 miles away); Dothan Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Site of Cottonwood Springs (approx. 8.7 miles away); Cottonwood Bank and Post Office (approx. 8.7 miles away); Old Cottonwood Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cisco.
1. Scranton Academy Basketball Team
Next to the marker is a metal tablet on a post commemorating the 1915-1916 basketball team. The tablet is inscribed as follows:
In memory of Coach Clinton E. (Shorty) Adams and members of the basketball team of Scranton Academy for the year of 1915-1916.
Lory Boyd • George Boyd • Earl Brown • Raymond Curry • Graydon Esmond • Ira McNeil • Otis Neill • Earl Ray • Tom (Potsy) Rippy • Clyde (Babe) Shaw • Oren Speegle • Aubry Sprawls • John Wallace • Bill Ledbetter - Mascot
Won 28 Lost 0
— Submitted December 28, 2014.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 28, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.