Charlottetown in Queens County, Prince Edward Island — The Atlantic Provinces
All Souls’ Chapel
This 1888 chapel, designed by William Critchlow Harris, Jr., is a masterful example of High Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in Canada. Its robust design is distinguished by rough textures in rust-red Prince Edward Island sandstone and by deep-set hooded windows. Inside, a profound sense of religious mystery has been created by the complex decorative scheme. It features a dramatic chancel arch, rich carvings, beautifully patterned encaustic tiles, subdued lighting and eighteen exquisite mural paintings by the artist Robert Harris, brother of the architect.
Cette chapelle, construite en 1888 d'après des plans de William Critchlow Harris Jr, illustre de façon magistrale le style néo-gothique de l'apogée victorien au Canada. Elle présente un aspect solide, avec des textures rugueuses en grès rouge de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et des fenêtres profondes surmontées de larmiers. L'intérieur dégage une atmosphère mystique créée par un décor complexe, dont un imposant arc-triomphal, de riches sculptures, des carreaux encaustiques à magnifiques motifs, un éclairage tamisé et dix-huit remarquables
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 46° 14.04′ N, 63° 7.969′ W. Marker is in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in Queens County. Marker is on Rochford Street just from All Souls' Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Rochford Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 0A8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canadian National Hotels (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Charlottetown (about 240 meters away); Beaconsfield Historic House / Maison historique Beaconsfield (about 240 meters away); Big Donald (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Charlottetown City Hall (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Apothecaries Hall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); A Dutiful Citizen / Un citoyen consciencieux (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Confederation Centre of the Arts (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottetown.
More about this marker. All Souls' Chapel is a small chapel attached to St. Peters Anglican Cathedral.
Also see . . . All Souls Chapel National Historic Site of Canada - Canada's Historic Places. All Souls Chapel is a small chapel built in the High Victorian Gothic Revival style of rust-red, Prince Edward Island sandstone. It is attached to the side of St. Peter’s Anglican Cathedral, a brick Gothic Revival church built in 1867-9. (Submitted on January 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.