Charlottetown in Queens County, Prince Edward Island — The Atlantic Provinces
Completed in 1847, this neo-classical building was designed and built by local architect Isaac Smith to accommodate the provincial legislature and administrative offices. It also housed the Island's Supreme Court until 1872. Province House retains its central role in Island public life, with the Assembly holding sessions here. In September 1864 it was the scene of the first conference on colonial union. Delegates from the colonies of Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Canada met in the legislative council chamber, now the Confederation Chamber, to begin discussions which led to confederation in 1867.
Achevé en 1847, cet édifice de style néo-classique fut conçu et construit par l'architecte local Isaac Smith pour l'Assemblée législative et l'administration coloniale. La Cour suprême de l'Île y siégea aussi jusqu'en 1872. L'édifice, où l'Assemblée se réunit encore, conserve son importance dans la vie publique de l'île. En septembre 1864, les délégués des colonies de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard, du Nouveau-Brunswick, de la Nouvelle-Écosse et du Canada se réunirent dans la salle
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 46° 14.098′ N, 63° 7.54′ W. Marker is in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in Queens County. Marker can be reached from Richmond Street just from Great George Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 165 Richmond Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1J1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paardeberg (a few steps from this marker); George Coles (within shouting distance of this marker); William Henry Pope (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Archibald Macdonald (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Palmer (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John Hamilton Gray (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Heath Haviland (within shouting Edward Whelan (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottetown.
Also see . . . Province House (Prince Edward Island) - Wikipedia. The cornerstone was laid during May 1843 and it commenced operation for the first time during January 1847. The entire structure was built for a cost of £10,000 and was designed by Isaac Smith. Smith was a self-trained architect from Yorkshire, who also designed the residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. (Submitted on January 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.