Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
— War of 1812 —
The town site suffered from effects of the war and silting of the creek, so St. Leonard was reestablished in its present location.
St. Leonard’s Town was secure when the Chesapeake Flotilla defended its base. U.S. Infantry and marines stationed on Fort Hill protected the flotilla’s left flank. A one-gun battery protected the opposite shore. A floating boom between these two points blocked access to the town.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1814.
Location. 38° 28.311′ N, 76° 30.348′ W. Marker is in St. Leonard, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Leonard Polling House and Garden of Remembrance (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Leonard Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); Early Settlements (approx. 1.6 miles away); Brewhouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); One-Room School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Veitch’s Cove (approx. 2.3 miles away); School #7 (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Leonard.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.