Ashland in Hanover County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number I-10a.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 37° 45.539′ N, 77° 28.869′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Virginia, in Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ashland VA 23005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroad Company Sees Potential For A Town Among The Slash Pines (within shouting distance of this marker); Ashland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Downtown Business Growth Fuels Ashland Expansion (about 300 feet away); The Blanton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town Of Ashland Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blackwell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rev. Alexander G. Brown D.D. (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Ashland (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Also see . . . History of the College. “The college was moved to Ashland, Virginia, in 1868 after the railroads to Boydton were destroyed during the Civil War. The move to Ashland challenged the college's spirit and stimulated new growth. The students themselves raised most of the funds for the first major building constructed on the new campus — Washington and Franklin Hall, a national historic landmark that was completely renovated in 1987. In this century, Randolph-Macon’s campus has grown to more than 60 major buildings on 105 acres.” (Submitted on June 7, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 820 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. More photos of the College campus • Can you help?