DeFuniak Springs in Walton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Florida Education Association: The Beginning
A separate black teachers' association was formed in 1890. On July 1, 1966 the black and white organizations merged. The name Florida Education Association was continued for this combined organization, and in 1975, the work "United" was added when FEA and Florida's American Federation of Teachers merged.
The Florida Education Association has become a symbol of the achievements of the past and an inspiration to those who will promote excellence for Florida's public schools, colleges, and universities in the future.
Erected 1986 by Walton County Education Association, Florida Education Association/United,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is March 4, 1812.
Location. 30° 43.033′ N, 86° 6.962′ W. Marker is in DeFuniak Springs, Florida, in Walton County. Marker is at the intersection of Circle Drive and West Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Circle Drive. Located near the north end of the Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood / Walton County Chamber of Commerce. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defuniak Springs FL 32435, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood (within shouting distance of this marker); Walton-DeFuniak Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Florida's First Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walton County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cosson Family Tragedy (approx. 5.6 miles away); Eucheeanna Community (approx. 6.7 miles away); Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church And Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Knox Hill Academy (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeFuniak Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on May 8, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.