Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hales Corners – A Farm Village
Among the most influential in development of the village was Jacob Siegel. In 1854, he opened a general store and saloon on Janesville road (now Forest Home Avenue) across the street from this sign. He brought in a blacksmith, harness maker, cooper, wagon maker, shoemaker and tinsmith to run half a dozen businesses
Rudimentary banking was available in the late 1800s in a wall safe in James Smith’s real estate and loan office. In 1910 a real bank was chartered. This bank, the State Bank of Hales Corners, evolved into State Financial Bank and was acquired by Associated Bank in 2006.
North of this sign, on the same side of the road, stood the firehouse. Organized in 1927, the Volunteer Fire Department stood at 10544 W. Forest Home Avenue for 75 years. Built of fieldstone and concrete block, the firehouse gained notoriety in 1932 when it burned down. It was rebuilt and remodeled periodically until a new up-to-date structure opened at 10000 W. Forest Home Avenue on February 17, 2002.
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 29.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1903.
Location. 42° 56.291′ N, 88° 2.73′ W. Marker is in Hales Corners, WisconsinTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10600 W Forest Home Ave, Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Turn of the Century Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hales Corners – A Suburb (about 700 feet away); Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Village Emerges! (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 1.2 miles away); Janesville Plank Road (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hales Corners.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.