Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Andrews, Manitoba — Canada’s Prairie Region (North America)
 

Twin Oaks

 
 
Twin Oaks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
1. Twin Oaks Marker
Inscription.  Built in the mid-1850s, this house was the residence for a private girls’ school run by Matilda Davis until 1873. The school was supported by families of the Red River Settlement and by officers of the Hudson’s Bay Company from across western Canada who sent their daughters here to be educated as English ladies. The residence could board up to 40 girls. Along with two log classrooms it was used to teach French, music, drawing, dancing, needlework and deportment. The building survives as a fine example of architecture used at Red River.

Datant du milieu des années 1850, ce bâtiment hébergeait les pensionnaires de l’école privée par Matilda Davis jusqu’en 1873. Les familles de la Rivière Rouge et les agents de la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson établis dans l’Ouest y envoyaient leurs filles pour une éducation conforme aux usages de la bonne société anglaise. Au pensionnat, qui pouvait loger jusqu’à quarante élèves, à raison de deux par lit, et dans deux salles de classe en rondins, on enseignait le français, la musique, le dessin, la danse, les travauvaux à l’aiguille et les bonnes manières. C’est là un bel exemple de l’architecture
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
de la région.
 
Erected 1984 by Government of Canada.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 50° 3.332′ N, 96° 59.261′ W. Marker is in Saint Andrews, Manitoba. Marker is on River Road (Provincial Highway 238), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 292 River Road, Saint Andrews MB R1A 2X2, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew’s Rectory (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); St. Andrews Anglican Church (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); St. Andrews Caméré Curtain Dam (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Nicolaus Copernicus / Mikołaj Kopernik (approx. 20.3 kilometers away); Commemorating Manitoba Theatre Centre's 50th Anniversary (approx. 20.5 kilometers away); St. Boniface / Saint-Boniface (approx. 20.5 kilometers away); First Salvation Army Meeting West of the Great Lakes (approx. 20.5 kilometers away); The Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre (approx. 20.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Andrews.
 
Twin Oaks Marker along the Red RIver image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
2. Twin Oaks Marker along the Red RIver
Twin Oaks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
3. Twin Oaks
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,210 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8450

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024