Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dearborn City Hall Complex / Orville L. Hubbard
This municipal building opened on June 26, 1922, as the seat of government for the Village of Springwells, which became a city in 1924, and in 1925 was renamed Fordson (for Henry and Edsel Ford). After Fordson consolidated with Dearborn in 1929, this structure became the center of municipal activities for the expanded city of Dearborn. Originally the two-and-a-half-story Georgian Revival structure housed all of the city departments. Included in the complex were a police and court facility, a communications center, a fire station and a maintenance garage. On May 23, 1981, the city dedicated a new addition, which linked the original building to the new quarters for the council chambers and the clerk's and treasurer's offices. The complex is now known as Town Hall.
Orville Liscum Hubbard, LL.B. (1903-1982), was mayor of Dearborn from 1942 to 1978. Born near Union City, Hubbard enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1922. He graduated from Detroit College of Law in 1932. Settling in Dearborn in 1929, he ran unsuccessfully for public
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1152.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1837.
Location. 42° 19.302′ N, 83° 10.619′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) and Neckel Street, on the right when traveling east on Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13615 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn MI 48126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dearborn City Hall (a few steps from this marker); Dearborn War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Schaefer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Neighborhood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedicated to Christopher Columbus (approx. half a mile away); Fordson High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Ford Rotunda (approx. 0.6 miles away); Henry Ford Birthplace (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
Also see . . . City Hall Artspace Lofts. Dearborn's Town Hall moved to the Dearborn Administrative Center, located at 16901 Michigan Ave. -- approximately 1.6 miles west. The old Town Hall complex is being remodeled into City Hall Artspace Lofts, expected to open sometime in 2015. (Submitted on July 14, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 14, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.