Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Salem Willows Park Opens for Business
In the summer of 1877, the Naumkeag Street Railway Company began offering horse-drawn trolley service between the Willows and downtown Salem. The company also began building an amusement park on an adjacent strip of land.
The new, improved Willows Park opened for business on June 10, 1880. Its shaded walkways, picnic pagodas, and varied amusements were an immediate hit with the public.
Area residents flocked to the Willows to enjoy a shore dinner, test their marksmanship skills at the shooting gallery, or roller skate at the Willows Pavilion. Many came by streetcar, others by bicycle or on foot. Some visitors stayed overnight at one of the new hotels that dotted the nearby Juniper Point neighborhood.
Added to the park’s popularity
A ban on the sale of alcohol at the Willows also contributed to the park’s early success. One local paper noted that the ban kept out the “rough element” that created problems at other seaside resorts.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Entertainment.
Location. 42° 32.095′ N, 70° 52.205′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Restaurant Row. The marker is near Restaurant Row in Salem Willows Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. On "The Line" 1880-1940 (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem Willows (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rev. John Hale House (approx. one mile away); Hale Farm (approx. one mile away); Hospital Point Light / Honor the Valiant Men (approx. one mile away); Hospital Point Lighthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Beverly Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Memorial Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.