Newburgh in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
State Historic Site
The Hasbrouck house served as General Washington’s headquarters from April 1782 until August 1783. He issued the cease-fire orders here on April 19, 1783.
Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
Erected by State of New York.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the George Washington Slept Here series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1782.
Location. 41° 29.832′ N, 74° 0.552′ W. Marker is in Newburgh, New York, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Lafayette Street and Edward Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is on the grounds of Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newburgh NY 12551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Disbandment of the Armies (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uzal Knapp (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Washington’s HeadquartersThe Minuteman (about 400 feet away); Court House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Montgomery Street Station (approx. half a mile away); Dedication of Newburgh Landing (approx. half a mile away); Christopher Columbus (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newburgh.
Also see . . . Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site. New York States Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website entry (Submitted on August 8, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.