Downtown Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
DeKalb County, created by Act of General Assembly Dec. 9, 1822 and including Fulton County until 1853, was named for Baron Johann DeKalb, a native German who fought gallantly for American freedom. Wounded and captured at the Battle of Camden, S.C., August 9, 1780, he died a British prisoner. Most of the early settlers of DeKalb County came from Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina. First County Officers, commissioned March 18, 1822 in Fayette County, were: John S. Welch, Sheriff; Thomas A. Dobbs, Clerk Inferior Court; John Calhoun, Coroner; James Adams, Surveyor.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-29.5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 18, 1822.
Location. 33° 46.519′ N, 84° 17.794′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. It is in Downtown Decatur. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston Mill Millstone (a few steps from this marker); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (a few steps from this marker); Steatite Boulder (a few steps from this marker); During the Battle of Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Dekalb County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stoneman Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Indian Trails of Dekalb County (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,484 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.