Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels

 
 
The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 26, 2015
1. The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels Marker
Inscription.  
Foundation Day: November 21, 1856. Feast of the Presentation of Mary.
Co-Founders: Most Reverend John Timon, C.M. First Bishop of Buffalo; and Reverend John J. Lynch, C.M. First President of SOLA, First Archbishop of Toronto.
First Location: St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum, Best Street, Buffalo, New York.
May 1, 1857: The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels moved from Best Street to Monteagle Ridge, overlooking he Niagara Gorge.
August 7, 1883: Grover Cleveland, Governor of New York, signed the document that granted The Semeinary of Our Lady of Angels a charter as a College and changed the name to Niagara University. The Seminary continued as a department of Niagara University.
October, 1961: The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels moved to Glenmont, Albany County, New York.
Spring, 1972: At the end of the academic year, The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels closed.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #22 and #24 Grover Cleveland series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 21, 1856.
 
Location.
Marker at Lower Right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 26, 2015
2. Marker at Lower Right
Click or scan to see
this page online
43° 8.204′ N, 79° 2.286′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Varsity Drive, 0.1 miles north of University Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is on the campus of Niagara University, along the south side of the Gallagher Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5795 Lewiston Road, Niagara University NY 14109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailo Hall (1992) (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Vincent's Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909) (about 400 feet away); Alumni Hall / Chapel (about 500 feet away); Dunleavy Hall (about 500 feet away); Gacioch Family Alumni and Admissions Center (about 600 feet away); For God and Country (about 600 feet away); O'Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970) (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
 
Also see . . .  Our History - Niagara University. University website entry (Submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=87903

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022