Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nickelsville in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kilgore Fort House

 
 
Kilgore Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
1. Kilgore Fort House Marker
Inscription.  The Kilgore Fort House was built in 1786 by Robert Kilgore whose family were early settlers in this area. It was one of the twelve forts between Castlewood. and Cumberland Gap providing ready refuge for settlers from Indian attacks in the late 18th century. Kilgore later was a preacher in the Primitive Baptist Church often holding religious services at the Fort House. He married Jane Porter Green, daughter of Patrick Porter who built Porter’s Fort on Fall Creek.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number KA-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
 
Location. 36° 44.134′ N, 82° 26.051′ W. Marker is near Nickelsville, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Nickelsville Highway (Virginia Route 71) north of Angus Glen Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Nickelsville VA 24271, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Houston’s Fort (approx. 3.7 miles away); At the Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); A. P. Carter Boyhood Home (approx. 4.8 miles away); A. P. Carter Grocery (approx. 4.8 miles away); June Carter Cash (approx. 6 miles away); Early Settlers in Russell County (approx. 6.1 miles away); Patrick Porter (approx. 6.6 miles away); Patrick Hagan and Dungannon (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Kilgore Fort House. Despite its obvious defensive design, there is no record of the fort house being attacked by Indians. A story persists in the county that Cherokee Indians once camped on the far bank of Copper Creek, but that is unlikely since the far bank is a cliff. The fort house is on a natural crossing on Copper Creek that is still used today. Older residents remember when cars would ford the creek at this spot; at least two bridges, including the current one, have been built here. Unused bridge pilings still exist in the creek. (Submitted on November 25, 2015.) 
 
Kilgore Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
2. Kilgore Fort House Marker
Kilgore Fort House image. Click for full size.
Via US Wikipedia, circa 1930
3. Kilgore Fort House
From Addington, Robert M.. 1932. History of Scott County, Virginia. Privately printed, Kingsport Press, Inc., Kingsport, TN. Copyright on this work was not renewed. Image appears between pages 110 and 111.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90933

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024