Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dungannon in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Patrick Porter

(1737–1805)

 
 
Patrick Porter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
1. Patrick Porter Marker
Inscription.  Patrick Porter was among the early pioneer settlers in present Scott County. Nearby on Fall Creek is the site of Porter’s Mill, built by Porter in 1774, the earliest licensed mill on waters of the Clinch River. Porter is also credited with the erection of a fort house in the same year to protect residents from Indian attacks. His son Samuel travelled with Daniel Boone to Kentucky in 1773 and in 1778 answered Boone’s request for assistance in defending Boonesborough.
 
Erected 1984 by Virginia Historic Landmark Commission. (Marker Number K-18.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR), and the Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
 
Location. 36° 49.647′ N, 82° 28.134′ W. Marker is in Dungannon, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Virginia Route 65 west of Route 72, on the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
left when traveling east. It is at the Dungannon Depot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dungannon VA 24245, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dungannon Depot (a few steps from this marker); Flanary Archaeological Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick Hagan and Dungannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Kilgore Fort House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Early Settlers in Russell County (approx. 7.7 miles away); Moore’s Fort (approx. 7.9 miles away); Coeburn (approx. 8 miles away); Houston’s Fort (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dungannon.
 
Also see . . .  Frontier Forts in Southwestern Virginia. 1968 article by Emory L. Hamilton in Historical Sketches of Southwest Virginia. “Other than the old Kilgore fort house which is still standing, Porter’s Fort was perhaps the most widely known fort house in present day Scott Co. It was the home of Patrick Porter, who emigrated from Guilford Co., NC, in October, 1772, and established his fort-house and grist mill on the waters of Falling Creek, near Dungannon. This was nothing more than a strongly built fort-house and according to the pension statement of his son, John Porter, it was built only for family protection. It is well authenticated that the Porter family sheltered in Moore’s Fort during Indian forays, and Patrick
Patrick Porter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
2. Patrick Porter Marker
served in the militia protecting this fort in the year 1774. There is no factual evidence that Porter’s Fort was ever under direct Indian attack. Just below the falls of Falling Creek, Patrick Porter built his grist mill, the first ever approved by court order on the Clinch river, permission being granted by the court of old Fincastle County, in 1774. Despite the fact that it was the first mill ever approved for the Clinch, it was not the first mill. The Lynch Mill at upper Castlewood was in operation for sometime before Porter’s Mill was erected, but no order has been found granting permission for this mill. Patrick Porter was born in 1739, and had married Susanna, the daughter of John and Ann Houston Walker.” (Submitted on November 27, 2015.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,385 times since then and 183 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91004

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024