Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Colonel C. C. Slaughter

(1837 - 1919)

 
 
Colonel C. C. Slaughter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Colonel C. C. Slaughter Marker
Inscription.  First native-born cattle king of Texas. Eldest of several rancher brothers. At age 12 "made a hand" on East Texas ranch of father, Rev. Geo. W. Slaughter. By 17 made his own trades in lumber, wheat, cattle.

In 1856 moved his cattle to Palo Pinto County, on his first West Texas ranch. During the Civil War, he supplied beef to Confederacy. Also served in frontier regiment, to prevent Indian attacks. After the war he led cattlemen in aiding economy of bankrupt Texas by securing cattle markets. A fat steer bought for $6-8 in Texas by middleman was sold for $30-40 at shipping point. In 1867 he sold 300 head at record $35 and led the way to rancher marketing. Kept his love for trailing, even after he became millionaire.

He also pioneered improvement of Texas Longhorns by use of champion Shorthorn and Hereford bulls. In Eastern speeches, he advocated beef on daily diet. To curb rustlers and establish efficient roundups, he helped organize first cattle raisers association.

His 89,000-acre "Running Water" spread in Hale and Lamb counties was part of 1,000,000 acres ranched. He was a banker, active churchman, philanthropist.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
His descendants have erected a memorial center bearing his name on the campus of Wayland College here.
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 959.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Animals. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 34° 11.089′ N, 101° 42.169′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway Street. Marker is on the northeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (a few steps from this marker); Schick Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Land & Development Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. ¼ mile away); Plainview Daily Herald (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lamar School (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hackberry Groves (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blasingame Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
 
Colonel C. C. Slaughter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Colonel C. C. Slaughter Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91266

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024