Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center
In 1850, after the State Legislature decided the Supreme Court should meet not only in Austin but throughout the state, Tyler was made one of the court's three seats. The Supreme Court began meeting here the following year. In 1851 Tyler was also made a U. S. District Court seat. It has served as such since that time, interrupted only by the Civil War when Confederate District Court was held here.
Because the Supreme Court was overworked hearing both civil and criminal appeals, the new Texas Constitution of 1876 established the Court of Criminal Appeals to relieve the Supreme Court of its criminal jurisdiction. Rotating at the same time and to the same places as the Supreme Court, the Court of Criminal Appeals met in Tyler from its inception. Years later, state laws were passed that moved the Supreme Court and the Court of Criminal Appeals permanently to Austin. The courts
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7757.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 32° 21.076′ N, 95° 18.02′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on North Broadway Avenue north of East Erwin Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted at the front entrance of the Smith County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N Broadway Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Fannin (within shouting distance of this marker); Arthur "Dooley" Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker); Yarbrough Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Bryan Marsh (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Tyler (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on December 15, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.