Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tyler Carnegie Library

 
 
Tyler Carnegie Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 11, 2015
1. Tyler Carnegie Library Marker
Inscription.  Five Tyler Women’s clubs, the First Literary Club, Bachelor Maids, Quid Nunc, Sherwood Club and Athenian Club, collectively known as the Federated Women’s Clubs of Tyler, worked several years to form a series of libraries for this growing East Texas town.

In 1902, the Tyler Free Library Board requested funding for a library building from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie agreed to provide $15,000.00 to the city of Tyler for a library, but stipulated that the city donate the building site and furnishings and maintain the library at a cost of no less than $1,500.00 per year. A lot was purchased at the northwest corner of South College and West Elm, and fundraising efforts throughout the community provided the books, furnishings, landscaping , and telephone services for the new library.

The Chicago architect firm of Patton and Miller designed the Italian Renaissance style building, with R.H. Downing of Tyler as architectural supervisor and D. Mahoney of Waxahachie as builder. The original library housed children’s and adult’s reading rooms, a check-out desk, book shelves and an office on the first floor, while the second
The 1904 Tyler Carnegie Library image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 11, 2015
2. The 1904 Tyler Carnegie Library
Click or scan to see
this page online
floor included an auditorium with a stage and two small dressing rooms. For many years, this was the only public auditorium in Tyler. A 1936 addition, which doubled the size of the original building, featured murals depicting life in East Texas by Texas artist Douthett Wilson. The building is a two story masonry structure, built with standard size buff brick and limestone. An overhanging red clay hipped roof tops the building in a low profile and keystones and cut stone embellishments frame all the windows and doors. The main entry is topped by a broken pediment and stained glass transom.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010

 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16531.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 32° 20.984′ N, 95° 18.12′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of West Elm Street and South College Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 S College Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Commercial College (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Episcopal Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Gov. Richard B. Hubbard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Senator Thomas Glover Pollard (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Commercial College (about 400 feet away); Marvin Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away); Tyler Civic Theatre Center (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Regarding Tyler Carnegie Library. The Carnegie Library Building now houses the Museum and Archives Collection of the Smith County Historical Society. The original 1904 Auditorium with its arched ceiling and stage has been restored and is used as a public meeting venue.
 
Also see . . .  Smith County Historical Society. The Museum and Archives collection of the Smith County Historical Society are open Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Admission is free. (Submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91471

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2021