San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Shreve & Co.
A San Francisco Institution since 1852.
From the time of the Gold Rush, Shreve & Co. has been the premier jeweler in the city, first making its home in this building in March 1906. This was one of the only structures to survive The Great Earthquake of April 18, 1906.
It was here that Shreve & Co. exhibited the 720 carat Yonkers diamond, the jewelry of Catherine the Great of Russia and created the State of California’s coronation gift to Queen Elizabeth II of England.
And it is here that this unique history lives on today—a San Francisco landmark where high standards are traditional.
Erected by Shreve & Co.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Landmarks.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 37° 47.327′ N, 122° 24.323′ W. Marker was in San Francisco, CaliforniaTouch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 200 Post Street, San Francisco CA 94108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. “The D’Arcy Building” (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mayors of San Francisco (about 500 feet away); Home Telephone Company (about 500 feet away); Luisa Tetrazzini (about 700 feet away); The Mechanics’ Institute (about 700 feet away); Dewey Monument (about 700 feet away); Pacific States Building (about 700 feet away); SFFD Engine Co. No. 2 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Regarding Shreve & Co.. George and Samuel Shreve opened the doors of their first jewelry store in San Francisco in 1852, specializing in high quality silver of their own crafting. At some later point they located their store on Market Street, opposite the Grand Palace Hotel. In March 1906, they located to the present location in a building especially designed and built for the company. Fortunately, the building incorporated relatively advanced (for the time) anti-quake engineering technology, which
The great fire subequent to the quake hit the area hard, incinerating much of the surviving building. Fortunately, between the quake and the fire, quick-witted store employees had put all of the the store's stock in the building vault. The vault and its contents survived the fire, and consequently, so did the company.
The company temporarily relocated to Oakland for two years while their building was rebuilt. During WW I, the company's silversmiths switched production from luxury goods to making airplane parts for the US government, although after the war they returned to their former trade. The firm ceased being family-owned in 1967, when the company was sold to the Dayton-Hudson Corporation. Silver manufacturing stopped then, although the company continues today in the retailing of fine jewelry.
Also see . . . Shreve & Co. History. Shreve & Co. provides history and photographs of their company and building. The post-quake photos are particularly interesting. (Submitted on July 14, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 3,904 times since then and 3 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week July 20, 2008. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 28, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7. submitted on November 28, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 8. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 9. submitted on September 20, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 10. submitted on November 28, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 11. submitted on December 5, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.