Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Horace Chilton pursued a career in law and was appointed Assistant Attorney General by Governor Oran Roberts. In 1891, Governor James Hogg appointed him to the U.S. Senate to complete the unexpired term of John H. Reagan. Chilton served a full senate term from 1895-1901 and was Texas' first native-born U.S. Senator. The Chiltons sold the property to Jacob and Rogenia Lipstate in 1903. Jacob Lipstate was a very successful Tyler merchant and real estate investor and helped organize the Chamber of Commerce in 1900. While the Lipstates owned the property, they subdivided a portion of the land into smaller lots for additional houses. The Lipstates sold the house in 1909 to W.P. Douglas, who then sold it to Gus F. and Helen (Minge) Taylor in 1910. Gus Taylor was a Smith County native who organized and was president of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Tyler (later the Citizens National
The high style Classical Revival house is the largest dwelling in the Brick Streets Historic District, and reflects late 19th century development in Smith County. Notable features include a steeply pitched hip roof, ionic columns, a cantilevered balcony, turned wood balusters and first floor window surrounds.
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17993.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 32° 20.476′ N, 95° 18.299′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of South Chilton Avenue and West Rusk Street, on the right when traveling south on South Chilton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 727 S Chilton Ave, Tyler TX 75701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Connally Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Ramey House (approx. ¼ mile away); Whitaker-McClendon House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woman's BuildingSite of Confederate Arms Factory (approx. 0.4 miles away); John B. & Ketura Douglas House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tyler Carnegie Library (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,063 times since then and 126 times this year. Last updated on December 23, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. 3. submitted on December 7, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.